The concept of mindfulness is simple. It is about being completely aware of what’s happening in the present, both inside of you and all that is happening around you. Being mindful allows you to experience life as it unfolds moment to moment, good and bad, and without judgment.
Mindfulness has been shown to help people better manage stress and anxiety, be less reactive, and sleep more soundly.
Becoming a more mindful person requires commitment and practice. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Enjoy a stroll. As you walk, notice your breath and the sights and sounds around you. As thoughts and worries enter your mind, note them but then return to the present.
- Practice mindful eating. Be aware of taste, textures and flavors in each bite, and listen to your body when you are hungry and full.
- Engage in conversations. Be mindful and give everyone your full attention when you interact with others at home and at work. This may require you to put down your electronic device momentarily.
- Find resources in your community,including yoga and meditation classes, mindfulness-based stress reduction programs and books.
- Utilize the EAP. Crown’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP) can help you bring more mindfulness into your life. Contact a BHS Care Coordinator at 800-245-1150.
For more information on the benefits of mindfulness, visit www.mindful.org.
Take Charge. Live Well!